The Evangelical Fellowship of Sierra Leone was founded on 24th August 1959 by five church denominations, comprising Missionary Church of Africa, United Brethren in Christ, Assemblies of God, United Pentecostal Mission and Wesleyan Church of Sierra Leone.
The Organisation was established to create fellowship among the Evangelicals, to uphold the Biblical truths, to advance Bible study and discipleship, to evangelise Sierra Leone, to train Church Workers and to do social Ministry. EFSL was incorporated in 1977 and currently enjoys a Christian NGO status through membership of the Sierra Leone Association of Non-Government Organisations (SLANGO)
EFSL has a membership of 48 Churches denominations Para-Church Organization and individuals.
EFSL is a member of the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA). Membership certificate was issued in 1968, thus EFSL became the first African Evangelical Alliance to be a member of the WEA (then WEF). In 1970 the fellowship was accepted into the membership of the Association of Evangelicals of Africa . EFSL was also a founding member of the Micah network in 2001.